Job Title: Operations & Partnership Manager
Perry Institute for Marine Science (PIMS) is a non-profit with over 50 years of experience that connects people to how the oceans work, why they’re vital to our existence, and how they can be restored and protected. PIMS is on the frontlines of the Caribbean coral crisis, leading ocean research and conservation, as well as education to inform the public, advise policy, and encourage action to save the ecological and economic engines within our seas. Renowned for conducting marine research and ecosystem restoration, the Perry Institute’s robust and holistic approach to marine conservation aims to revitalize coral reef habitats, restore mangrove forests, sustainably manage vital fisheries, and to help foster a robust and innovative blue economy.
This position will partner with the Executive Director and the PIMS Team to make a significant, meaningful impact on our ocean conservation and marine science. This position will provide high level support and assistance to the Executive Director on confidential organizational matters and act as the principal liaison between PIMS Leadership, PIMS Staff, and the organization's myriad of partners. The Operations & Partnerships Manager will also support the day-to-day operations of the organization by overseeing human resources, financial operations, and supporting the executive director by managing scheduling and travel planning. Additionally, the Operations & Partnership Manager will assist with development (fundraising) with managing donor lists, tracking donor and funder relations, and lead event planning and logistics in the Bahamas. This person must possess strong decision-making ability and experience handling administrative, operational and executive support related tasks. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, proactive problem solver with exceptional communication skills and meticulous attention for details.
● Candidates from diverse sectors who have business acumen or nonprofit management experience are encouraged to apply (science and conservation experience is not required).
● This position is based in Nassau, The Bahamas and a work permit will not be sought.
● To apply, email a 1-paragraph expression of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Operations & Administration (approximately 50% of role)
○ Human Resources Administration
■ Regularly updating employee manual and policies
■ HR benefits research and analysis (primarily Bahamian)
■ Act as primary staff contact for HR administration
○ Financial Operations (day-to-day)
■ Payroll management and troubleshooting
■ Signatory on accounts and payments checks for vendors and staff
■ Petty cash management
■ Act as liaison between Executive Director and Bookkeeper
○ Organizational/ Field Operations
■ Manage records and coordinate logistics regarding vessels and equipment
■ Coordinate customs/ duty and immigration matters
■ Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and effectively manage deadlines.
■ Assists in implementing strategies for operational management and development so as to meet organizational plans and goals within budgets and timelines.
■ Manage government (and other) permitting processes
■ Real-time response to emerging issues and organizational preparedness
○ Executive Director Support
■ Manage scheduling and travel planning
● Development (Fundraising) Support to Executive Director (approximately 25% of role)
■ Managing prospect and donor lists, correspondence, follow-up
■ Tracking status, activities and progress of funder and donor relations
■ Relationship database management
■ Donor recognition (thank you letter) process management
○ Donor and Funder Relations
■ Manage process for Executive Director meeting preparation and follow-up
■ Support/ coordinate amongst staff to deliver timely grant proposals and reports to major donors
■ Assisting with set up, execution and completion of new projects using grant funding and complying with regulations
■ Lead event planning and logistics in The Bahamas
■ Occasionally represent PIMS to funders and donors in The Bahamas
● Partnership/ Relationship Management (approximately 25% of role)
○ Represent PIMS in meetings and with important stakeholders, able to convey the organization’s mission and support executive decision marking
○ Liaise with PIMS Leadership Team and Staff to foster good internal communication and excellent third-party partnerships
○ Ongoing government relations with the Government of The Bahamas
Candidate Requirements/ Qualifications
● Please note this position is based in Nassau, The Bahamas a work permit will not be sought.
● A minimum of 2-3 years experience in an administrative/ operations-oriented position with a demonstrated track record of positive relationship building and management
● Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree related to management, business, public administration, or conservation beneficial, research science degree not required)
● Prior experience with fundraising and event planning strongly preferred.
● High attention to detail with an emphasis on project management, financial operations, correspondence, stakeholder relations, and logistics. Ability to organize and prioritize work.
● Excellent networking and communications skills (i.e., ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing)
● Ability to prioritize and manage several milestones and projects efficiently
● Fluency with MS Office Suite and Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, etc.) software
● Experience working with a diverse team and promote and maintain exemplary organizational culture and external reputation
● Ability to work independently and take executive action as delegated by Executive Director
● A self-starter, data and deadline driven, and ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time-management skills
To apply, email a 1-paragraph expression of interest and resume to email@example.com
Don’t miss a beat! Enter your email below to catch our latest research missions, stories and job opportunities.